In the mid 1950’s, when Lawrence Weston was being developed after the second world war, Shirehampton Baptist Church and Tyndale Baptist Church on Whiteladies Road felt called by God to build a church on the present site. Initially funds only permitted the erection of a temporary, largely wooden, building and this was completed in 1957. It was apparently guaranteed by the builders for 15 years, who indicated that with good fortune it could last for 20 !
This is the same building which some 50 years later has stood the test of time, and while it remains a Baptist Church it has developed into a community building with currently some 200 plus individuals using the premises each week.
The name of the building was changed to Hope Café & Church in 2018 to more accurately reflect the use to which our premises are now put, whilst remaining a Baptist Church at heart.